Good Health....Therapeutic Play.....Changing Perspectives....Creating Change

Good Health..Therapeutic Play..Changing Perspectives..Creating Change..Good Nutrition..Early Literacy..Well Children..Achievement

Friday, January 18, 2013

Enough with Holland

I am in the midst of one of the most emotional and gratifying processes of my entire life...this project has become a physical embodiment of the deepest love I've ever known. I've gone over it and over it because every word on every page has to be right - I owe that to Lucas.

I can't help myself from reading daily articles from around the globe on issues of T21. Some focus on hard science, some on treatment, and some on social issues. Usually hard science excites me because the more we understand the more we can affect, the ones on treatment bore me because the majority of the ideas are rehashed paradigms from decades past; where therapy was reactive and delay-based.

The articles written on societal issues probably give me the most insight, not because of the content of the actual article, but because of the comments that follow. Today, I came across a comment from whom I don't know, but she was explaining what "Welcome to Holland" was all about - I won't bore you with it, I'm sure you've had it shoved down your throat as the most compassionate and beautiful pieces of "literature" ever written.

Am I the only one who is insulted by the insinuation that my son was an "mistake" that I will learn to see the beauty in and maybe even love someday??? I guess if you are an outsider who reads it, it wouldn't occur to you, but this piece of "literature" is handed out like medication to alleviate the anxiety of new moms with a baby who has T21 (among other diagnoses). It is handed out in prenatal classes and support groups. Maybe over 20 years ago when it was penned it offered some consolation, but today???

I tell you what, if I got on a plane expecting to go to Italy and ended up anywhere else, I'd have somebody's ass for it. They'd pay me royally for the screw up that caused me inconvenience, money, and wasted my vacation time. I'd demand all sorts of things in my anger and disbelief and under no conceivable circumstance would I get off the plane, look around and say, umm....well, maybe.....

Having my son was like getting on the plane and having it crash, then  jubilantly realizing I was still alive... and not only was I still alive, but I loved life more, I loved my children more, I was more determined than ever before to toss out the crap that wasn't important and spend the rest of my life trying to live up to the beautiful and amazing gift I had been given. I saw beauty in things I never noticed before, and I felt power in the fact that I had these insights that I previously couldn't have fathomed.

My son was not second best, he wasn't something I needed to learn to accept, he wasn't Holland ... he wasn't even Italy.

He was and is one of the most amazing children I've ever known, he's the child I'd die for a million times, and will spend the rest of my life changing the world for.
 






14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness THANK YOU..sharing this one for sure again you touch so many of us in so many ways thanks for writing down your thoughts and could not agree more. Love ya Geralyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful that last line is! Yes yes a million times yes! How can others understand this love...impossible world changing, life sacrificing love. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My head is noddng in agreement with your words. Great post! Did indeed receive Welcome to Holland from early intervention right away. Excited to read your masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw your blog - Congratulations on your beautiful baby!

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written! Thank you for sharing your heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Thankfully I was never handed that poem when my dd was born but it would be tough to have a child with T21 & not stumble upon it somehow. The line that I especially hate is where she says something about the pain will never ever ever go away. What an awful thing to tell a new parent.

    Laura
    downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone sent me Welcome to Holland,it was so not how I was feeling at all.You said it so wonderfully,a million times over..exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate that stupid poem. I did a blog post about my thoughts on it last year. I felt like I was the only one that disliked it! http://secondtimearound-vernyvern.blogspot.com/2012/02/what-i-hate-about-holland.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your post. I remember loathing this article when I read it less than two weeks after Daniel was born. It was the worst analogy that I could've heard at that time (esp since I am Italian and Italy is gorgeous and, sorry, but Holland really was disappointing :O). Not to mention so unrealistic. Really?? Just get on the next plane to Rome! Thank God I came to similar conclusions as you, about my child and the awesome journey that he is. But that was no thanks to this discouraging, abysmal point of view. You have stated this so well! Thanks.
    Nicole
    www.thebabyblogsbydaniel.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post... I've felt like this since we received the diagnosis and the poem in the mail from MULTIPLE sources...

    So excited that your book will be out soon... Mack is due in 6 weeks... I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from your experiences...

    Thanks again,
    Michelle
    lifewithmack.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you post! Even we have had facing challenges we were not expecting, I love my child for who he is. I am glad you also think in this way, because i thought I was just one of the few moms who felt in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank You Thank You....someone who truly understands. I think as Moms we would own the damn airline.

    ReplyDelete