Good Health....Therapeutic Play.....Changing Perspectives....Creating Change

Good Health..Therapeutic Play..Changing Perspectives..Creating Change..Good Nutrition..Early Literacy..Well Children..Achievement

Monday, May 14, 2012

He Who Teaches Me



I've done quite a bit of thinking over the past week. My last blog was a result of a lot frustration - it wasn't because of my son, it was really about having to face people exactly like my former self. People who believe they can predict the future based on the past, those who were educated and trained in environments where the best they can offer is an address to delay, and professionals who think parents embellish what their child can do to buffer their own egos. 

If I could only show those people at the table, all new and expectant moms on this journey, and all of society what my son has achieved in 4 short years, they might begin to understand. I wouldn't talk about developmental skills, physical abilities, or even cognitive achievements (as impressive as they are), rather I would start by explaining how this small boy whom I was told would ask so much, has singlehandedly changed the course of our lives. 

Lucas should be named honorary Life Coach because he has created change in every area of our life. We all eat well - it's hard to go through a drive through when you know the stuff in the food could literally hurt Lucas's brain and body. I'm learning to like running - because I like being alongside Lucas when he runs. It's kind of hard to sit on your ass complaining about how difficult it is when Lucas never says no, even when it's raining and I want him to. It's hard not to be inspired by a 4 year old who doesn't know he isn't supposed to be healthy or strong enough to do the things he does. It's hard not to be awestruck when Noah starts lacing up his sneakers just to go with us in the evening.

It's hard to find an adequate excuse for not finishing things, when I spend my days watching Lucas work until he does. You find yourself thinking twice about judging another person, or saying something you can never take back because Lucas's main concern is ensuring everyone is happy. 


It's impossible to let fear get in the way when I watch Lucas fearlessly make new friends at the park, or introduce himself, or participate groups. You find little tolerance for the people who would try to bring Lucas down - the pessimists, the cynics - those who tell you to look for plateaus, look for behavior problems, and look for challenges - they don't see what Lucas is trying to show them.

You learn quickly not to care what others think when it comes to the one person who trusts you most. You find your voice and are not afraid to use it.

Some may look in and think our days are hard, that being at home and "working" with Lucas is a labor. The truth is, there isn't anyone I would rather laugh, bike, run, play games, crawl around, sing, and learn with. It's laughable to hear people say Lucas's ability to learn will be limited when I have been forced to learn thousands of things I never knew just to keep up with him!

I am Lucas's mother first and foremost but I enjoy or days more than anything. I marvel at how much Lucas does, how much fun we have, and how I instinctively know how to teach him.


I know for certain he motivates me more than I could ever motivate him and the one person who I was told would make life less perfect is the exact one needed to fix everything that was wrong before he became part of it.



I am certain all the hockey greats wear their helmets for a potty break!




2 comments:

  1. completly agree wth u my kids r my best teacher..
    my yonger daughter blessed wth T 21. Changed my whole perspective n attitude towards life. now v hv new spectacles to view world n njoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    we leave in NJ, our son is Carlo is six months, we started physical therapy when he was two months old and now we want to start the protocol with nutrition and supplements. I would like to get in touch with you to have some directions in this stage.
    Thank you Francesco and Silvia silviapapini74@yahoo.it

    ReplyDelete