Good Health....Therapeutic Play.....Changing Perspectives....Creating Change

Good Health..Therapeutic Play..Changing Perspectives..Creating Change..Good Nutrition..Early Literacy..Well Children..Achievement

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Call to Action

As with every other part of our journey, there is a constant pull of conventional ideas. I was approached by a friend of mine who wanted to know if I was signing Lucas up for a popular program in the area for teaching ice skating to children with special needs, apparently she is an instructor. I said, without thinking, that I had already made plans for him to do the community learn to skate program my other boys had done. The conversation ended shortly thereafter, but it left me thinking, did she see something in Lucas that would make him inappropriate for the community class? He has the proper gross motor skills, attention span and energy of a typical three and a half year old, nothing visibly would rule him out. As far as his ability to understand, I truly think it is far better than my other boys at his age, just because we have focused on it for so long. Then suddenly I figured it out.

"Down Syndrome" is nothing more than a label, an inaccurate, segregating, discriminating, demeaning label with no footing in science, biology or medicine. Because the existence of an extra chromosome produced some assumed eventualities over 100 years ago, a doctor (who thought the condition was a result of incomplete development in utero and therefore resulted in a "mongoloid" child - remember those from mongolia were not well regarded at the turn of the century), he decided to take these bright children and give them a syndrome named after himself who admittedly knew nothing about it. Now, some 115 years later, we allow this label to define our children. This outdated label is just as destructive as any racial slur or derogatory ethnic name, yet it is so common everyone thinks it is an actual diagnosis.

The fact that my son understands and does things far beyond his chronological age is lost on this friend of mine who only knows the label. If this is true at three and a half, what will it be at 13? 23? 33? I can not wait - and I suspect you can not either - to see what unfolds. Action must be taken and a new awareness spread. Since I began this journey I have met a small number of parents around the world who are having giant success intervening before delay occurs. There is a movement, and I am pretty sure anyone who reads this is part of it - that is how we've found each other. We have witnessed the uprising of the parents of children with autism, who time and time again fought traditional thought with proof they had made their children well. I'm sure that community of parents will tell you their methods are still far from commonly accepted, but together their voices are being heard, and we have all had our perceptions changed of children with autism because of that message.

At the risk of drawing ire from the very people I wish to inspire, may I suggest it is time to stop propping our children up as the poster kids for disability? When a company wishes to sell a class, or a book, or an item to parents of kids with special needs, do they typically choose a child with autism? Of course not, because children with autism look like every other child. Even children with physical disabilities are not always chosen first because most people understand that a physical disability does not mean the child has an intellectual one as well. But they love our children. Our children look special, and when the public sees their features on a product, they know exactly who it is for, and more importantly, who it is not for.

I have a better word for that, it's called discrimination. It is no different that segregating any group of people based on stereotype. I'm tired of hearing the "but kids with Down Syndrome are_____, "fill in the blank; special, sweet, friendly, loving, stubborn, delayed, on and on. When we as parents allow our kids to be propped up as the symbol of disability, the symbol of those who can never hope to compete in any arena other than a "special" one, we make it okay. It is not okay. We don't get up at the crack of dawn, drain our brains, bodies, souls, and bank accounts because we think it's okay. My child will succeed in the same world as his brothers, he will not just "get along" he will lead.

That is why I am writing this - to you, other parents who feel the successes and the intuition that the past 115 years got it wrong and we are positioned at precisely the correct time to make it right. Our children can achieve unbelievable things and if they enter a world where they are prejudged, we've done nothing.

How can we be heard? We educate by example everyday, but how do we organize our voices? As stretched as my husband and I are with all we've committed to Lucas and our other boys, it is becoming apparent that it wont be enough. It is not enough for Lucas to be included, he must be seen as an equal. The parents in the autism awareness campaigns had one huge advantage, they banded together. Please pass this to any groups you may be a part of, feel free to contact me directly or via the comments at the end of the blog with ideas or opportunities. The time is now.

I can't help but think about all the stories this time of year about a young man with T21 who was crowned prom king (Do they publish stories of all prom kings?) or dragged around filthy towels for the basketball team all four years of high school, and then at the final game of the season when the team is up by 30 points, they put him in for one play - after they arranged with the other team that they would not oppose him. My heart breaks for that young man, for his parents and for my son. Worse yet, the students who organized the play did it genuinely and charitably. Charity is for those who need it. Our children will not.

Where do we go from here?

8 comments:

  1. I don't have an answer for you right now, but I'd love to be part of the solution. I am also risking offending people, but I have never been able to celebrate those "heartwarming" stories either. The stories I appreciate are those like the recent video of the young woman with DS going to college. That to me is a success story & the sort of success that I hope my daughter will have one day. A few months back I was asked what my daughter would do when she is old enough to go to school. Would she do the same work as the other kids. I was annoyed at the question so it was nice to be able to respond to respond that I wasn't concerned about her being too far ahead of the other kids.

    I think it must start with the parents. I hear "they will do it in their own time" way too often. Acceptance is good, but needs to be balanced with high expectations.

    I think the hardest thing is convincing people - even parents, that it is possible for our kids to do so well. My dd was reading library books by 3.5 years & I instead of hearing "I should try that", I just keep hearing "it's because your dd us so "high functioning"". If you are interested, I blogged about it here:

    http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com/2011/04/gifted-advanced-high-functioning-low.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! You got it, even other parents dismiss success by saying that he just must be "high functioning." The most hurtful thing I've ever heard is that parents like us simply cannot accept our children. I have news for them, it is because I accept him that I want to give him every chance to succeed and be happy as a full member of society. Thank you for the blog link, I will definitely follow. Opening the dialogue is critical, especially to brand new parents! Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I firmly believe that our children are only limited by our expectations of them! Count me in! My dd is a reader too. I haven't had near the amount of time I would like to have had to work with her - her older sister is in the autism spectrum and until only recently, was a LOT of work (way more effort was required by her than by her little sister just to manage daily life).
    I feel the same way about the "heart warming stories." I'd rather see those of people who happen to have an extra chromosome yet are educated, working, married and living independently - leading fulfilling and normal lives. THAT inspires me.
    I'm here and feel free to contact me any time via my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - Love your username!

    Do I already have a link to your blog? If not send it and I will repost on mine so we can feed to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. We are only six months along on this journey, and everything you wrote resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a new follower of your blog and have read this post about 4 times now. You brought up some wonderful points and gave voice to a lot of my feelings. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter just turned one. I have been feeling just this way for the past 8 months or so and am just starting to find other mothers who are of like mind. It is exhilarating!!!!!
    Of have a wonderful brother who is very involved with Special Olympics. Since my daughter was "diagnosed", he has made several attempts to bring up her future participation in S.O.
    Somehow he actually thought that would make me feel better? I said to him the last time,"How do we know she likes sports?" As if an extra chromosome magically makes her have an overwhelming impulse to run track? It's ridiculous, right? And I know he only has the best of intentions. Finally I said to him, "we are not interested in Special Olympics at this time. If we ever are in the future, I will let you know, but I don't want to hear about it again, please." Even my biggest supporters don't seem to be aware of the possibilities that our kids are capable of. This is what I hope we, as a group, can change. Count me in!!!!!

    ReplyDelete