Good Health....Therapeutic Play.....Changing Perspectives....Creating Change

Good Health..Therapeutic Play..Changing Perspectives..Creating Change..Good Nutrition..Early Literacy..Well Children..Achievement

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Just Came Across This Photo

I was just going through photos for a presentation I am giving and I found these.
Smart little bugger from the beginning! (Not to mention those fine motor skills!)
From the date, I can see Lucas was just over 5 months old. We started our reading program with the names of people in Lucas's life. I can not tell you how encouraged I was to see him understand and learn so quickly. Lucas has taught me many things, but the most important was never to underestimate him! (And yes I had him in a pod chair for reading time because he had to engage his back and core muscles, receive the proprioceptive input through the spine and figure out distal mobility on proximal stability, control his head and eye movements, all while concentrating on something else. No reason to just work on reading, better to use a multisensory approach and let Lucas experience several things at once! Didn't take him long to catch on, and we were sitting for reading without our handy pod chair!)
We included our reading words into the rest of our day and from the lovely dish towel on the ground I am assuming this was after dinner when I was cleaning the kitchen. The only thing missing is Noah and Ryan who would usually be putting new words up and playing peek-a-boo from behind the walls. Lucas would stretch up to see them, pushing on his little hands and arms, and if he happened to be watching them move back and forth, he would weight shift and roll over the boppy roll! I realized that not only did I not have to lower my expectations for Lucas, but I'd have to be pretty creative to keep him stimulated. He craved learning and trying new things. He still does today!

No comments:

Post a Comment